Students generally spend more than one year in each ensemble. We welcome students taking lessons through the Duke University String School and students taking private lessons in the local community to participate in the DUSS String Orchestras.
Conductor: Rob Rempher
The Concert String Orchestra is a string ensemble with violin, viola, cello, and bass students who have mastered the skills learned in the Intermediate String Orchestra (ISO). Students in this ensemble will be performing challenging pieces of different musical styles and wide dynamic ranges. The repertoire of the Concert String Orchestra will build on skills learned in the Intermediate String Orchestra and include more advanced orchestral techniques such as trills, double stops, clean passagework (16th notes), and comfort playing and shifting in 1st through 5th positions. Students participating in CSO should have a sense of musical style and period (i.e. differences between playing Baroque music versus Romantic music), ability to play rubato, while developing beauty and power of tone.
Students auditioning for Concert String Orchestra should have a mastery of prerequisites listed for the Intermediate String Orchestra. Students should have a proficiency in sight-reading in first and third position up to 3 sharps and 3 flats and be able to play comfortably in first through fifth positions. Violists should be able to play in both alto and treble clef. Cellists should be able to play in tenor clef.
- A scale demonstrating ability to correctly shift to 5th position and play multiple notes in one bow, such as multiple slurs or martelé bow strokes.
- Three minutes of a solo piece of your choice. Memorization of the scale and solo piece is preferred. Students will be asked to play a sight-reading example.
- An example of appropriate solo repertoire is as follows:
- Violin: The Boy Paganini by Mollenhauer, Sarabande by Bohm, Meditation from Thais, Accolay Concerto, Haydn G major Concerto, Bach Double Concerto.
- Viola: Bach Concerto no. 1, Brahms Hungarian Dance, Suzuki Book 4-5 repertoire
- Cello: J. B. Breval Sonata (1st or 2nd movement), Sonata in E minor Op. 1 No.2 first or second movement by Benedetto Marcello, Minuets from Suite in G major BWV 1007 by J. S. Bach, Tchaikovsky Chanson Triste, Suzuki Cello Book 4 pieces.
- Bass: 2-octave scale, Marcello sonatas, Faure "Apres un reve,” Pichl Concerto, Eccles Sonata in G minor, Vivaldi Six Sonatas for Cello, Marcello Sonata in E minor, Capuzzi Concerti in F major, (ASTA CAP level 3-5 pieces)