Youth Symphony Leadership Excerpts
Thursday, August 10, 2017
Dear Youth Symphony Students,
The following are excerpts for the upcoming leadership auditions for violins, violas, cellos, and bass students for the YS. Leaders need to abide by the attendance policy and set a good example to the other orchestra members with their preparation, posture, and behavior. Please look for an email in your inbox with a Sign-Up Genius link to pick a time for an audition on either August 26th or 27th. Please note that Violin Leaders will rotate between 1st and 2nd Violin leadership positions.
Students wishing to remain in the same section in the same orchestra they were placed in during the last season DO NOT need to audition.
Students wishing to audition for YS but are not interested in auditioning for leadership seats, as well as winds, brass, and percussion students can visit the following website for audition guidelines: http://stringschool.duke.edu/groups/ensembles/youth-symphony
We look forward to hearing your auditions!
Recording of Mendelssohn Symphony No. 5 ("Reformation") can be heard HERE.
Recording of Tchaikovsky's Romeo and Juliet overture can be heard HERE.
1. Mendelssohn, Mov't I (see excerpt for selection). Half note = 126.
2. Tchaikovsky, m441 - 462. Quarter note = 138.
1. Mendelssohn, Mov't I, G1 - 13 of letter H. Half note = 132.
2. Tchaikovsky, m457 - 477. Quarter note = 138.
1. Mendelssohn, Mov't I, N2 - P1. Half note = 126.
2. Tchaikovsky, m462 - 493. Quarter note = 138.
1. Mendelssohn, Mov't I (G1 - 9 of H). Half note = 132.
2. Tchaikovsky, m345-365. Quarter note = 138.