To train young musicians of diverse backgrounds in the region's premier string education program.
What Sets Us Apart
The Duke University String School is the only program in the region that offers private lessons, group study, chamber music, and an orchestral training experience. You can get private lessons elsewhere. You can get group study and an orchestra experience in some programs. You can only get it all--a comprehensive string education with excellent teaching artists--at the Duke University String School.
How We Accomplish Our Mission
Our work includes three focus areas: excellence, access, and inspiration.
To foster excellence in DUSS students, we
- Hire teachers who are both experienced educators and professional musicians
- Help students look for excellence in their own playing within a non-judgmental atmosphere. (Mistakes are not negative, but simply information.)
- Uphold high standard for student participation in practice and attendance.
To make DUSS available to all children, we
- Offer comparatively low tuition cost
- Provide scholarships for families in need
- Encourage students studying privately outside of DUSS to join our orchestral ensembles.
To inspire DUSS students, we
- Expose students to a wide range of repertoire from Baroque to Romantic, from Fiddle to Pop
- Teach foundational technical and music theory skills to give students the tools to interpret, create, and compose
- Present regular master classes and workshops with world-renowned performers.